Another straight to the point solutionThis time a simple error and simple explanation. I installed a nice WAMP package called WampServer and I got an error on a site that worked fine on other servers. The error I found in the logs was:
It appeared that module mod_rewrite was not enabled in Apache. After I enabled it- the error was gone and website started working.
.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
To enable the module edit apache's httpd.conf file and make sure this line is there uncommented:
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so